The Library at Chorlton High School is situated on the first floor and provides a light and airy space, which can accommodate up to 80 students. It is one of the centrepieces of the school building and houses over 12,000 books. It is well used by students from all Year Groups and provides a friendly environment in which to work and choose books.
When can students use the library?
The Library is open to students at the following times.
- Before the school day from 8am until 8:30am.
- At break time from 10:45am - 11:05am
- At the end of the school day from 2:45pm until 3:45pm
In addition, students may visit the library in groups or with their class during the school day.
Who works in the library?
A warm welcome is provided in the library by Ms Hockey and Ms Coates who make up the library team. Both members of staff are professional librarians, who have extensive knowledge of children and young adult books. Both read widely and can give expert advice on finding just the right book for students to read.
What can students find in the library?
The Library holds a wide range of Fiction and Non-fiction books as well as magazines and newspapers. We have books to suit all tastes and reading abilities and students can also request books for the library to buy.
Improving reading in the library
The library runs Accelerated Reader with a number of classes in Years 7-9. There is a great range of AR books for students to choose. Award Ceremonies are held at the end of each term to celebrate students' achievement.
The Library has 2 extra-curricular groups that meet after school.
- Reading Group: Meets in the library on a Wednesday from 2:45-3:45pm. If you like reading and talking about books this is the place for you!
- Comic Club: Meets in S1 on a Tuesday from 2:45-3:45pm. Calling all MARVEL, DC, TITAN and MANGA fans. Share your love of comics and graphic novels with others!