Student Support at Chorlton High School
*Please note: Vital IT infrastructure work is due to be carried out at Chorlton high school from Monday 26th July – Friday 30th. . This will means that all IT systems will be down for the week including the phone systems and our email system will migrate to a cloud based system. If you need someone from safeguarding please use the numbers below or check the school website for a mobile contact number for reception.
Sarah Penrose: 07964034698
Mandy Roberts: 07967110146
Diane Clavin: 07964034711
We have a dedicated Safeguarding Team at the school whose job it is to make sure that our children feel safe and are able to thrive and access fully their educational opportunities.
We offer support to students and their families for a whole range of things and we work closely with other support services and agencies, to whom we can make referrals and gain advice on particular issues.
Emotional Health and Well Being
If a child feels they are in need of some emotional health support, they can access this through school. We have some in school support options
- THINC Room - Therapeutic Inclusion Room. A safe space, staffed by trained workers.
- Young Persons Counselling Service - Our School Counsellor is on site 2 days a week offering scheduled sessions and a daily ‘drop in’.
- 1Stop - A youth mentoring service, in school two mornings a week.
We also advise young people to access On line resources such as Kooth, Childline and Chat Health School has strong links and makes referrals to outside services such as:
- CAMHS - Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
- 42nd Street - A central Manchester based service which supports young people with their emotional wellbeing and mental health
- Eclypse - Free and confidential drug and alcohol service for young people
- Brook - Healthy lives for young people advice about relationships and sex education
We know how difficult family life can be, particularly bringing up teenagers. Our team deliver a course called ‘Parenting a Teen’. For more details about this please contact the Safeguarding Team.
We can also support you to access Manchester’s Early Help Offer if you are finding things particularly difficult. School will complete an Early Help Assessment which will allow you to access a range of resources - Financial, Physical, Emotional etc. for more details about Early Help, see here.
Keeping Children Safe
All staff at school work within the legislation around Keeping Children Safe in Education. We have a duty of care and as such if we have reason to believe that a child is at risk of harm we will refer to Children’s Services. Please see our Safeguarding Policy for further details.
Our Safeguarding Team are:
Ms Penrose - Safeguarding Lead
Ms Clavin - Safeguarding Officer
Ms Roberts - Safeguarding Officer
Mrs Xiberras - Assistant Head Teacher (LAC Designated Teacher)
Contact our Safeguarding Team - 0161 882 1150
- NSPCC General Helpline number – 0808 800 5000
- NSPCC Report Abuse in Education number – 0800 136 663
- CAMHS – Child Adolescent and Mental Health
- Chat Health- secure and confidential text messaging service for young people. Allowing young people to easily and anonymously get in touch with a healthcare professional
- Kooth – Free, safe and anonymous 0nline counselling and support
- 42nd Street – Supporting young people with their emotional wellbeing and mental health
- Eclypse – Free and confidential drug and alcohol advice for young people
- Manchester Healthy schools – Manchester Local Care Organisation, leading local care, improving lives in Manchester. Resources to support healthy lives
- Karma Nirvana, supporting victims of honour based abuse and forced marriage - 08005999247
- CEOP Child Exploitation and Online Protection Command
- Manchester Children’s Services 0161 234 5001 – to report concerns regarding a child or vulnerable adult
- Brook – Advice on relationships and sex for young people
- The Proud Trust – Support for LGBT+ Youth
- Childline – Support for children and young people, on the phone, online anytime
- The Hide Out – helping young people and children to understand domestic abuse and support to take positive action if it is happening to them
- Help if you are worried about being forced into a marriage against your will